Recently since I started studying abroad, I’ve had to go through a whole new round of going out and making new friends.
Just kidding, it’s not that bad. But this whole process has got me thinking a lot about the people that I’m meeting, and of course how I am presenting myself to them. Amidst all of this people-analyzing, I’ve come to accept a new personal truth:
Never in my life have I met a person who fits perfectly into one side of the Introvert/Extrovert dichotomy.
I know some people who absolutely love socialization and spending loads of time with other people, and I know some people who are the exact opposite. But I’ve never met someone who was so extroverted that they could never be alone, or someone so painfully introverted that they chose to live out their life in isolation.
One of my biggest grievances with human society is our incessant need to label and categorize people so that we can understand them better because in the end it almost always places someone in the wrong group or creates confusion, division, and even more problems than it solves.
Whether we’re talking about race, gender, religion, class, or any of the other boxes we like to put people in, I’ve never found someone who belongs to one of these groups that exhibit’s all the characteristics that they “should.”
In terms of Introversion/Extroversion, I personally feel like I’m somewhere in between these opposites, and sometimes that confuses people.
The Life of a Mid-Trovert
As the self-proclaimed “most average girl in the world,” I’d be the first to admit that my “personality type” is all over the board.
According to 16Personalities.com, I am an INFP-T, and here’s what that means:
I usually don’t think things like this are that accurate, but this one actually hit the nail right on the head. For anyone interested in finding out their personality type, it’s free and super easy to do here. (If you do it, tell me what you get and if you think it’s accurate!)
BUT, as you can clearly see above, I tested as 63% Introverted, which explains my preference for small gatherings or quiet nights at home. But we can’t forget about the remaining 37% of me that explains those times when I feel like yakking my head off. It’s a day-by-day, or person-by-person thing for me, some people bring out the crazy while some promote the calm.
One side effect that never fails to get me is the serious mental and physical fatigue that I experience following a bout of extroversion. No seriously, I always feel so exhausted after I hang out with a big group of friends or go out to a crowded venue. Like my brain just had to work in over-drive to stay afloat in my conversations (especially if it’s loud), or even just to keep up with the conversations going on around me. In situations like this, my favorite place is the bathroom. Not to poop or pee (well sometimes to poop or pee), but to have a second of semi-quite in the midst of the excitement… to muffle the people chatter on the other side of the door.
Don’t Get Me Wrong
I do have fun in social situations! For about 15 to 20 minutes. 30 tops. Okay, maybe an hour if I really like the company. And that’s something that people seem to have trouble understanding, especially those who bring out my extroverted side. I guess it’s hard for some people to imagine a new side of someone when the only side they’ve met is completely different.
But that’s my whole point! People are such multidimensional creatures! We all have such intersectional qualities that it’s so hard to make such strict classifications… so why don’t we just stop?!
Here’s to an end of applying rigid classifications to living people!
Let’s all just take a second before questioning someone on why they’re so quiet today, and maybe consider that they have the capability to be quiet by choice sometimes!
In the recent years of my life, I’ve come to love my ability to flip the switch, but I’ve also realized that taking some me-time is 100% necessary in order for me to be an approachable person the other portion of the time.
Take some time to get to know yourself today, and know that it’s okay if you don’t fit into a box that someone tries to put you in!
I’m a Mid-Trovert, and I’m damn proud! (And that doesn’t even exist!)
Be you, whoever that is, and be damn proud of it too!
Until next time,
– Plain Jane xx